Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

DAY A BILLION - UPSTAIRS GALLERY SAVES THE DAY

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SHOW TONIGHT?


GRIFF: I was super ready to go and excited beforehand and then as soon as it started I checked out. All five of us (mash up team) were in the first scene and Nate Varrone and Tim Lyons had some great strong choices. I started to just follow Nate and should have kept up with it but instead dropped it like a whiny little bitch.


JAMES: Overall, not the worst show, but there were plenty of missed edits. We played with a thrown together group consisting of a couple Nates and one Tim Lyons. We talked beforehand and decided to open with a group scene, and to let it breathe as long as it needed to. It breathed a little too much. There were edits that needed to happen that just didn’t. It’s one of the worst feelings seeing an edit pass by without acting on it.


WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT GRIFF/JAMES?


GRIFF: We both were playing on our heels. James seemed less affected by this than I. Like I was really pissed off at me for not finding a footing, but James was pretty even keel about it. Is that what people say? It’s just...very little gets to James


JAMES: Griff did a great job in the group scene of siding with someone else’s point of view. In group scenes, it’s usually most helpful to split into camps and rally around each other rather than everyone trying to establish their own individual point of view. Griff jumped on Nate Varrone’s POV and rode it the whole way through, like one of the horses in that Cormac McCarthy book he gave me.


HOW DO YOU FEEL/WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IMPROV?


GRIFF: Two things I noticed. 1) I get very intimidated the moment someone else is very confident/funny onstage or otherwise. Gotta work on overcoming that. I had a really hard time figuring out how to play tonight. 2)That Del Close thing about falling and you’ll figure it out? I did that when a scene was stalling out tonight. It went nowhere other than me on the ground for a minute. I don’t think me meant it literally.


JAMES: I went into this before, so forgive me, but writing a daily blog about things that you learn is difficult, so there’s going to be some repeats. You really get out what you put in. For a long time, I’ve been going into shows just hoping to have fun and not embarass myself, and that’s all that I’ve been getting out of them. Since we started this month, I’ve been reaching for something more, and occasionally getting it. You go see shows where it’s a group of guys just being dumb and funny, and you think that’s all you need to be good, but there’s so much more to it. That might be what sets groups apart, they want something more out of every show.


WRITE AN ALEX SONNET


GRIFF: Yo yo yo no disrespect to James D.
but my boy Honnet is rockin’ harder.
He got tha beats and tha jams on repeat.
He keeps ‘em all fresh down in his larder


You ask him for shows? Damn, that white boy knows
exactly how to hook you up. ‘Nuf said.
If he ain’t there, he prolly with his hoes.
You best lay off his ass, or you be dead!


James D., on the other hand, is a bitch
who don’t write his posts on time. Not never.
He got a mustache that surely must itch.
And for his sake I hope he gets better.


If he don’t, I’m gonna kill his ass.
Honnet’s my new boy. I don’t take no sass.



JAMES: Gather ‘round children, and hear the great tale,
his first name is Alex, his last: Honnet.
When you’re desperate, he won’t let you fail,
He shows the way, inspires a sonnet.


From Newton he hails, a man with no fear,
Dashing and daring, commander of stage.
With his bright blue eyes, and his face of beard,
Alex Honnet is both man and a sage.


The hero of improv, Gallery Lord,
With his wit and charm, he’ll slay the masses.
He wields his humor like a mighty sword,
with laughter enough to remove asses.


So tremble ye mortals when he takes stride,
And be ever thankful, he’s on your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment