Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

DAY 25 - KNUCKLEBALL ‘PROV SHOWCASE

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SHOW TONIGHT?

GRIFF: I was really tired and kind of loopy before the show. I tried to rally and I think I did a good job of going along with the energy Alex Nichols and James brought to the show, but I was definitely in the backseat for this one. There were a few times I found myself laughing at the show as a spectator rather than a performer. It was really stupid...in places  detrimentally so, but on the whole I think a good show.

JAMES: I don't even really know how to explain this show. Me, Griff, and Alex Nichols. It was funny. It was weird. It was very character driven. It felt like we all gave ourselves a game to play at the top and we just stayed on those courses for most of the show. There were some moves made that got dropped or ignored, but that became a game in itself also. I think that Alex and I came out with such strong characters that Griffin was left to justify a lot of what we did. With all that being said, I had so much fun and couldn't keep a straight face for most of the show.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT GRIFF/JAMES?

GRIFF: I already knew that James could drive a scene from a very grounded place but tonight he drove from a much weirder place. His choices were completely ridiculous and stupid in the best way possible. I don’t think he’s played like that in a while outside of a Gentleman’s Falcon show (his independent team), but even then I don’t think I’ve seen him lead like this. He was also still able to weave a common thread through the scenes which was really impressive.

JAMES: It was really funny to see Griff play the straight man tonight. Usually he's the one that is bringing the crazy to the table, but Alex and I kind of forced him into grounding us with the choices we were making. It showed a lot of growth on his part that rather than trying to make the show more insane than it already was, he found the calm and collected energy that the show was lacking, and played that.

HOW DO YOU FEEL / WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IMPROV?

GRIFF: I noticed tonight that playing with people who are very confident or mashup teams doesn’t make me uncomfortable. It is trying to follow behind someone else’s idea or letting them drive everything. It isn’t always easy for me to jump on board enthusiastically if I don’t understand the game that is being played. For the rest of the run I’m going to push myself to play  harder when I encounter something I don’t get or am not comfortable with.

JAMES: I got a little in my head about how much time we were going to get onstage tonight. I notced that the other teams were getting what felt like 10-12 minutes each, which is pretty short for a Knuckleball show. For most of the show, we played one scene with multiple characters that travelled to different places. We should have just played that out for the entire show, but I pulled an edit because I thought the scene had come to its end. So what we had was a show that was 90% one scene, and 10% anonther scene that we didn't even have time to establish names in. So basically what I learned is that if it feels like you've done a long enough scene to warrant staying in it until the lights get pulled, just commit
to it.

IF YOU WERE THE FIRST PERSON TO ENCOUNTER ALIEN LIFE, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO THEM?

JAMES: I wouldn't say anything. I'd just sit them down and show them "Independence Day"

GRIFF: I be all like, “damn gurl you need some makeup or sompthin ‘cause you ugly, dang!”

No comments:

Post a Comment