Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

DAY 24 - THE ATLANTIC AND STAGE 773

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SHOW TONIGHT?

GRIFF: Touched a lot of butts. Made a ton of jokes about families getting melted to death in a fire station.  Killed Jonbenet Ramsey at the top of a mountain. Uhhhh yea. I’d say THAT’S a good show. Adam Levin saved the day by setting up this show. He, myself, and Bill Letz did a group scene at the top of the show and branched out from there. We took our time but it definitely wasn’t a slow show. It’s always easy when you play with friends who know what they’re doing.

JAMES: I played in The Funeral at Stage 773 with Kelsey Kinney, Amy Thompson, and Eric Harrington. The Funeral is a form that was invented by Danny Bischoff, and it’s one of my favorite forms to do. The nature of it really forces you to focus on relationships rather than plot. It also facilitates gift giving better than most other forms. Tonight I got to play a kid who was just despised by his father, no matter what he did. There’s something really fun about playing the character that gets kicked around by everyone. It gives you permission to be pathetic.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT GRIFF/JAMES?

GRIFF: James is really good at performing the Funeral because that is an improv show you really have to see to understand. Like, it’s form is more than just an excuse to set up a collection of entirely improvised scenes. You really need to study it to get it. No way I could have pulled that off. They probably did some really experimental edits that someone like me would never understand.

JAMES: He’s not bitter at all and is able to get over things that are out of his control really quickly. He is never the guy to write passive aggressive things, you know, like how a child would if they didn’t get their way? Not Griff.

HOW DO YOU FEEL / WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IMPROV?

GRIFF: I’ve started having better shows when I take it slow. I need to focus on that. You still need to make deliberate moves and react to each other, but you’ve gotta find a way to be natural about it all. Sometimes I get in my head because everyone around me is saying hilarious lines  and I can’t think of anything or don’t understand the joke (cause I’m real dumb). I shouldn’t worry about forcing a funny or insane line. I say those things naturally and should let them just come to me. Tonight was a good reminder of that.

JAMES: Like I said above, The Funeral is designed to bring out relationships rather than plot. You set up how you feel about another character in a monologue, and then play an everyday scene with them. Rather than following a story, you learn about how these characters get along with each other, how they react to different situations, that sort of thing. I get really caught up in trying to shoehorn clever plot devices and twists into shows a lot. After doing shows like this, it’s good to remind myself that I’m working too hard. Improv is a lot easier than I’m making it.

IF YOU WERE A BOOK OF POETRY, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR TITLE?

GRIFF: Lizard Man, Lizard Mind, Human Heart

JAMES: Jimmy Lightning’s Big Book of Rhymes and Feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment