Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

DAY 11- BUGHOUSE WITH KNUCKLEBALL

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SHOW TONIGHT?

GRIFF: That was a close one. Jams and the rest of the group barely got to the venue in time for us to go up. I almost had to do a two man show with some Second City corporate shill who happened to be sitting in the audience. Thank Christ the team made it. Very high energy show. There was a bit of cross-talk/dropping each other’s ideas or just not playing them through, but we were all on the same page almost immediately. Well except for Amy, who walked right through the river I was paddling down so now I look like an ass. She’s deader than Sean Price. Excited to play with the rest of the group again next week and hopefully do a proper warm up.


DUGAN: This was a ton of fun. I came straight from a show at the Playground, and got to the Bughouse about 2 minutes before our show started. This solved all of the energy problems I've had lately. I'm not saying that I'm going to show up late to all of my shows from now on, that would be ridiculous and irresponsible. There got to be another way to get your energy up before a show. Some kind of warm up... ow my brain hurts, I'll figure this out later. Everyone was engaged in the show, and invested in who they were playing. We played a bunch of kids at a camp for suicidal youths. It took us a couple minutes to get everything established, but once we did, the show just took off. It was a crowded stage with all five of us up there the whole time, but that just lead to us expanding the world off the stage, which I always love. The only complaint I have is that we had a hard time giving and taking the focus throughout. There was a good amount of talking over each other and dropped ideas, but like so many shows this month, this was the first time I had played with this combination of people. Focus improves the more you play with people.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT GRIFF/JAMES?

GRIFF: Jams came running from iO after playing with some whack ass Harold team to meet me at the Bughouse. I’ve never seen the guy so frantic and energized. I don’t even remember his first line so much as I remember him yelling it and almost crying. It was great to see him play more from the gut and the butt than his head. If you get one person onstage with that kind of energy it helps get everyone else going too.


DUGAN: He's a goofball. A lot of our show was character and relationship focused, but every once in a while he dropped a gem of a bit (like a Kenny Chesney pun) that brought the fun back out. At the end of the day, aren't we here to have fun? Great energy to be onstage with.

HOW DO YOU FEEL/ WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IMPROV?

GRIFF: Large group scenes are tricky if you haven’t ever really talked about them. I can’t help but think of something Lilly Allison said in an Annoyance class which was basically “there are only two perspectives in a scene”. If you have five people onstage, there should be a lot of mirroring going on and when you boil everyone’s individual game down you should see that there are really only two sides to the conversation. I think that’s what she was saying. That’s the only thing I could say needed to be done to clean up the show: less perspectives. You gotta have you own thing, sure, but you gotta jump on board with the group too and participate in the larger group patterns and games.

DUGAN: I'm not a big musical improv guy. It terrifies me, and I'm not good at it. But at one point tonight, I thought that we needed a song, so we sang one. I think I touched on this when I did the Laser Improv Show, but your mindset should really be what's best for the show as a whole, not what you're comfortable with. If you play in service of the team, you can't do much wrong.

WRITE A HAIKU ABOUT THEM

GRIFF: There once was a boy from Chico
His mustache was very neato
but then he fell down
and broke his crown
oh and also his car got repoed!


DUGAN:Griff is my dumb friend.
I do not think that he knows
How to write haikus.

No comments:

Post a Comment