Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

DAY 18 - BUGHOUSE - KNUCKLEBALL

 OUR FIRST REVIEW!!!!!!

IMG_0679  
"Hot bits. Definitely some hot bits..." - David Yontz

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SHOW TONIGHT?
GRIFF: One of our best shows yet. Started off a little rocky as far as what the hell was going on, but it picked up once we established some emotional stakes. I had a great time letting loose and felt like myself onstage rather than trying to figure out what to do. I really love these Bughouse shows and everyone should come to them.


JAMES: I don’t think I’ve had a harder time keeping a straight face onstage. The things that were coming out of Griffin and Alex Nichols’ mouths were such gold. Usually at the Bughouse we strive to do a mono-scene, but tonight we just ran. My only complaint about the show was the reset moments after a sweep. There was a lot of empty stage before anyone came out to initiate anything. However, when an initiation was made, it was strong and propelled the scene somewhere, so maybe it’s worth it to take a second rather than just saying anything to fill the space.


WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT GRIFF / JAMES?


GRIFF: James plays scared really well. There was a point when I punched Alex in the face and turned around to look at James and he was literally shaking. He looked like a frightened mouse. Also, James and I have very different guidelines for assessing a show. James is on this big “we can do more than just funny shit” kick right now whereas being as funny as possible is my end goal. James thinks of things that help the show be better, easier to play in, and ultimately funnier. He handles thematic or tangential connections between scenes really well.


JAMES: One of my favorite things to do with Griffin is to call out the weird physical stuff he does. A couple days ago he played a guy driving a carriage, and his whipping of the horse turned into what looked like him doing a drum solo. Something similar happened tonight, and when I called it out, he didn’t try to justify why he was doing what he was doing, he just did it harder and faster. I think he’s all grown up and knows how to Yes And on his own now.


HOW DO YOU FEEL / WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IMPROV?


GRIFF: These smaller groups always turn out better. Mashup groups are hard to navigate unless you already know the folks/are comfortable with them. When you are with your friends, and your friends are good, and your friends have similar goals, you will have a great show.


JAMES: The same as before. It was a really fun and energetic show, but I felt like there was more we could do. Just something to tie the whole show together to give it that extra push. Even if we had just called back something from the beginning. I might be turning into an improv snob…


WHAT TIME PERIOD WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE STUCK PERMANENTLY IN?


GRIFF: June of 2076

JAMES: I’ve got a plan on how to get rich if I can get back to the early 90s. Only ask me about it if you have a time machine that seats two.

No comments:

Post a Comment