Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

DAY 30 - THUNDERDOME REDUX!!!!


HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SHOW TONIGHT?

GRIFF: That was a ton of fun. Mashup groups usually make me really uncomfortable, but tonight I was able to relax and have some fun. Of course, the show was disjointed and started dipping energy/commitment-wise the longer it went on, but that’s ok cause duh it was a mashup group.

JAMES: Other than Griff, I don’t think I had ever played with anyone from our group before last night. I know that three of them (Rachel LaForce, Casey Whitaker, and Greg Worsley) have done a lot of performing together, and them being comfortable with each other made me more comfortable with them. The show was still a little disorganized, but my favorite moment was Greg and I just yelling at each other about a gavel (you had to be there). There were things that I could have played harder, and moments that we could have explored a little deeper, but for a group of randoms, I can’t complain too much. Thunderdome was the second show we did this month, it’s pretty fitting that it was the second to last show of this run also.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT GRIFF/JAMES?

GRIFF: James has gotten much more comfortable driving a scene, or at least entering strongly. There were a few times tonight he walked into a scene or tagged someone out that made me all like “nice move”. But it was never for just a joke. Smart lad, that one.

JAMES: Did you guys know his last name is Wenzler?! I’ve been calling him Griffin Weezer this whole time!

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT / WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IMPROV?

GRIFF: You gotta play hard and make your own fun. Hopefully someone else notices and jumps on board. Playing well in a mash-up group takes a good deal of maturity. Strong moves need to be tempered with good listening and support. Finding that balance is tough and is something I want to keep working on. Self-sufficiency is the only thing that will keep you going when it seems a show has stalled out.

JAMES: I think the biggest thing that i’ve learned from playing with mash-up groups this month is that playing politely doesn’t help anyone. With groups that haven’t played together before, it might feel like you’re being rude by running a scene, but when someone comes out strong, it’s so refreshing. Be the person that you want to be onstage with.

WHAT IS SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVEN’T DONE YET THIS MONTH IN A SHOW THAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO TONIGHT?

JAMES: Use an accent. BUT WHICH ONE?!

GRIFF: Make zero sex jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment