Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

DAY 6 - MAD CONTENDER AND A BLENDER

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SHOW TONIGHT?

GRIFF: Tonight was a lot of fun. We were performing mostly for the people of Mad Contender (who were one of the best house teams I’ve seen lately) and everyone in the jam seemed fairly experienced. Mike (Klasek), Dan Shar, James and I played “secret mission” where we gave each other a task to accomplish during the show. If you’re ever going to a jam and concerned about how much fun you’re going to have this is a great way to guarantee a lot of the dumb type. Shar was the only one with any success. He played a guy who was way into street racing for the majority of the show.

JAMES: The Mad Contender Jam is something that everyone should do. Great opening team, and a low pressure jam with really talented people. I’d actually never been to CIC before, and I loved the space. Real fun and relaxed crowd, and everyone was there to have fun. Shar stole the show as the guy that The Fast and the Furious was based on. I thought that everyone that played was real strong, and my only complaint was that there wasn’t more of a crowd. Seriously, you guys gotta check this show out.



HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT/WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IMPROV?

GRIFF: It is best when you relax and have fun. If you are in your head or preplanning initiations you gotta throw yourself in and forget all of that. The only thing you’ve got is the look on the other person’s face and the things they say. There is enough there that you don’t need a bunch of whacky premises or character ideas. If you’re naturally goofy then that will come through. You don’t need to try to be funny. If anything the whacky things take away from the rest of the show (the end of the jam was almost impossible to make sense of).

JAMES: At this point, I feel like I could write a book on how to play in mash-up groups. I keep feeling like you can’t hope for much in a jam, but maybe that’s something wrong with me. There’s no structure to a jam, but that might be because we’re not looking for one. One of my teachers, I forget who it was, said that everything, no matter what can be classified as a Harold. I wonder if I had treated it like a Harold show if something else would have come out of it.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT GRIFF/JAMES?

GRIFF: The kid loves to play. He jumped into the jam as soon as he saw a chance for a game and did a great job of continuing it through the show. It’s great to have someone as grounded and sure of themselves in a jam. If the show is a balloon we are all trying to keep in the air, James is the guy who will dive to knock it a few feet up when no one else will. I think I’m also starting to see a more impulsive side of James. He’s starting to surprise himself with what he says and I love it.

JAMES: Before the show, Griffin assigned me the task of playing a Southern person at some point in the show. I completely forgot about it, but one of my favorite things is messing with the other performers during a show. Griffin is one of those guys that has fun onstage, no matter what he’s doing or who he’s doing it with. When it comes down to it, the people that you always want to play with are the ones that make it fun.

WHAT HISTORICAL FIGURE DID HE REMIND YOU OF?

GRIFF: Someone who keeps popping in when you least expect him…Gollum maybe? The historical Gollum from the history of Middle Earth. That guy just pops in every now and then and really moves the story along.

JAMES: Who was that guy that got hit with a railroad spike in the brain and it left him alive but completely changed his personality? You know who I’m talking about? That’s what all the different fonts on this blog remind me of.(editor's note: James doesn't realize that I change the fonts when I post everything to blogspot because he is a moron. Seriously, the guy doesn't understand how many times or when to press the space bar. It is sad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment